If you’re in the market for jewelry this winter, you’re in luck – despite the rise in the cost of gold, the cost of jewelry has risen less than 2% since last year. In other good news, there are dozens of reputable online jewelry merchants to choose from, so you can buy bling online from the comfort of your own home. But if you’ve never purchased jewelry online, I can understand why you’d be a bit apprehensive. To make it easier, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite places to buy jewelry online, as well as some tips that can make sure you shop safely.
If you value quality over a bargain, you can always shop at Tiffany & Co., a jeweler whose reputation speaks for itself. Jewelry from Tiffany & Co. isn’t cheap, but if you’re not sure what to buy, you can pretty much ensure that you’ll pick a winner from this store. You can rest assured that when shopping on the chain’s website you’ll receive items that are the same quality as those you’d find in-store. And, with free holiday shipping, you’ll have no qualms about shopping online instead of in the store.
Another place to buy high-quality jewelry online is UniquePearl.com, which was voted among the best places to buy pearls by SmartMoney magazine. But in case you’re looking for another testimonial, you can use mine – a few months ago I advertised a giveaway in which Unique Pearl was offering free pearl earrings. The ones that I received were not only beautiful, lustrous pearls, but also constructed beautifully. The one downside of Unique Pearl’s website is that it’s difficult to search by price unless you know exactly what type of pearl you want. Still, it’s worth taking a look, as some interesting prices and pieces are available. Prices range from under $100 to several thousands of dollars, and the company can also create custom pieces based on your specifications.
If you’re looking for dazzling bling at a price that won’t take your breath away, try Ice.com. In contrast to Unique Pearl, this site makes it extremely easy to shop by price, and you can find a wide range of styles and designs. Of course, if you don’t have a style in mind, you may find yourself overwhelmed with options. Ice.com also offers user reviews and extremely zoomed-in images that can help you know exactly what to expect with your purchase. Need another reason to shop at Ice.com? You can save $25 on purchases over $89 here, for a limited time only.
Finally, it’s worth considering Overstock.com if you’re a true bargain hunter and you’re not necessarily looking for the flashiest of bling. Overstock.com doesn’t offer genuine diamonds or gold, but it does offer interesting fashions in sterling silver, CZ and other semi-precious gems.
But no matter where you decide to buy bling online, make sure you stay safe by:
- Avoiding independent sellers whenever possible. Cybercriminals love creating fake sales ads and taking your money without delivering the product.
- Using your credit card. Purchases made with credit cards come with fraud protection and charges can be easily contested.
- Checking the return policy. If you’re nervous about purchasing jewelry online, make sure to confirm that it’s returnable if it doesn’t meet your expectations.
- Reading reviews. It’s always a good idea to see what other people have to say about a particular jewelry company before making a purchase. Just keep in mind that if you’re reading reviews on their site, they may be edited or censored to remove negative reviews.
- Considering secure shipping options. If you’re concerned that your purchase shouldn’t get lost in the mail, you may want to pay a few extra dollars for secure shipping.
Good luck finding the perfect jewelry online!