With taxes due, holidays to prepare for (or recover from) and rampant spring fever, April is always a busy month. But you should never be too busy to take advantage of April shopping opportunities – especially when April deals are involved. The month is only half over, which means that you still have two full weeks to take advantage of some great April deals. If you’ve been holding off to replace your appliances or to take a trip, take a look at the April shopping guide below and determine if now is the time to step up to the plate.
- Refrigerators. If you need to replace your old refrigerator or just want a spare to store your overflow cooking, you’re in luck. AOL Shopping reports that new refrigerator models hit the shelves in the spring, so if you’re looking for a great deal, shop for last year’s model and you should enjoy significant savings.
- Vacuum cleaners. According to Home Appliance Magazine, new vacuum cleaner models come out in June, so many stores try to clear out their inventory beginning in April. If you’re up for some comparison shopping, compare your favorite brands and save big on your new vacuum cleaner.
- Kitchen accessories. In anticipation for the upcoming wedding season, many stores begin to lower their prices on kitchenware and household gadgets. Don’t hesitate to stock up on wedding gifts during your April shopping excursions so that you’ll have a stash for any winter weddings that may come up.
- Travel deals in April. If you’re flexible about traveling and are just waiting for the right opportunity to come along, it’s worth checking out some of the best travel deals in April. Needless to say, April is not a peak travel season, so it’s possible to find deals to most places. Virgin America is having a sale now, if you purchase before April 19th. Southwest is also offering cheap tickets, if you book by April 15th. I’ve also seen some great prices to Europe and on various cruises, so start looking fast if you want to take advantage of these offerings.
- Organic products. Because Earth Day is on April 22, many companies use April as an opportunity to offer discounts and promotions on their organic products. Among my favorite organic deals this month: Newman’s Own new coupons and some great Whole Foods coupons.
- Veggies. April’s cheapest vegetables include artichokes, broccoli, beets and green beans. If you like any of these vegetables, now is the right time to start your diet!
- Candy. Easter is over, Passover is a memory, and now is a great time to hoard holiday candy that is being sold at reduced prices. It doesn’t matter if you eat chocolate eggs after Easter – they may even taste better when you know they were cheaper.
- Real estate. Moving to Houston? Los Angeles? Anywhere? April is a good time to buy, as houses begin to go on the market in anticipation of the peak spring/summer season, and your options will expand exponentially. If you find something you like, bid early – competition will increase as the spring progresses, and you don’t want to enter into a bidding war with other potential homeowners.
- Winter clothing. If you’re a bargain hunter like I am, you’ll be able to find shocking prices on winter essentials, from boots to leggings to sweatshirts. Keep an eye out for coupons that can be partnered with sales for unbeatable savings. I’ve found children’s winter coats for under $10 and hat/glove sets for about $2. Stock up as baby gifts or purchase what your children will need next year.